Tuesday, March 2, 2010

just a bit crafty....

 

Here is my first (viable) bib and spit rag.  I did a few trial runs with some scrap my mum had, just to get used to using a machine again, and get the right template for the bib.  I found one on the net, but it just didnt seem to work out the first 2 times I did it.  One was a complete disaster, the other was better but still not perfect.  It was not deep enough in the neck and would have strangled the baby!  I was also using an old nappy for the back, which I think was a bit thick.  I then decided to trace around a bib Em already had, and allow extra for the seams.  (I am REALLY bad at forgetting to allow for seams!!!)  so eventually, after after 3 or so goes, I got the one I wanted.  Time to use to good material!
I got some patchwork squares called "fat quarters" which is enough for the bib and the rag.  I also bought some flannel for the back from spotlight.  (its lucky spotlight is in Queanbeyan, otherwise I would be there alllllll the time.)  As it was, I spent $70 odd bucks kitting myself out.

So here is the first one.  You cant tell from the pic, and you probably wouldnt notice unless you are really observant (and a sewer... I'm sure my sewing friends would notice!), but when you turn the bib over, I used the wrong side of the flannel.  oh well.  lesson learned!

This afternoon I went to tuggers and got 10 more fat quarters to make some more.  I am hooked!  I also want to bring the machine over from mums (we just dont have the room) so I can make some more before the weekend for friends that have had a baby recently and we are seeing them on the weekend.  Hopefully they will withstand the washing and wearing!!!!

Remember, I am very good at doing lots of dodgy craft!  I am also very good at going overboard at first and then slowly losing interest!  hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment