Wednesday, April 7, 2010

For the love of powderfinger

I say that because not unlike some people who believe in god/religion/spirituality, I believe in one thing.  Powderfinger.

It started back when I was living in Wagga going to uni.  It was my first year there, so 1995.  I heard this song (you can, if you look closely see me in this video, I was at this gig.  At around the 1:40 mark, me singing my head off!)

It's called Living Type, from their album Double Allergic, their second album.  I was instantly hooked.  I knew that I must love this band forever.

My love for this band has taken me to some pretty amazing gigs, met some amazing people (and some not so, some fanatics take their passion WAAAAAAAY too far, bordering on psychotic, which is not healthy or enjoyable for us less crazy people)  It has also taken me to TV, where I appeared on a show called The Einstein Factor.  For those that are unfamiliar with this show, its a quiz show, but as well as asking generic quiz type questions, you have a 'special topic'.  You guessed it, mine was Powderfinger.  Long story short, I won the game.  This then meant I came back for the semi final, unfortunately I didnt win that.  You dont win prizes or money, but it was fun. 

From that, I then met the band.  It was before a show in Newcastle, the last show in a massive tour they did with silverchair.  We were waiting out the back for them to come out and say hello.  Just when we thought they werent coming out, they did.  This was my first time "meeting" them, and went up to John Coghill, the drummer. 

"Hi, Im Deb, I was on the Einstein Factor, my special subject was you"
"sorry, didnt see it"

FAIL.

so, when meeting the others, I said nothing.  Just Hi, a photo, which was still pretty damn exciting, a dream come true.  Espcially JC... he is my favourite.



and then I come to Bernard Fanning, the lead singer. 

his reaction on seeing me (after a peck on the cheek...SWOON)

HOW FUCKING COOL WERE YOU ON THE TV!!!

*die*

to say I was a tad excited after that, is an understatement.  Here's the pic of me after this very exciting event.... the grin is evident!


Since then, every time we see them (I say we, cos there is a big group of us who hook up for all the gigs) I get to say hello to Bern.  He even "annoited" Emily while she was in the womb when I flew up to Brisbane for a pre-album launch gig at 32 weeks.  He also mentioned me during the gig, how a "crazy woman from canberra flew up" and he had rung family services.  har har.  It also got me to the VIP section at Homebake last year, which was pretty exciting.  I even have Berns email address, and have had a few emails from him, which is still very exciting!!!!  We occasionally banter back and forth about various things, but I don't go nuts with it.  I'm sure he doesn't want to hear my inane blathering.

People have asked me what makes them so special.  I don't know what it is, but they just make me happy.   This little post just doesnt do my dedication justice, but its a start. 

Cant wait for the tour at the end of the year.  there are rumours it could be a farewell tour... I'll cross that bridge if and when it happens, but now with 2 kids, I don't think I will be able to do the multiple shows like I normally do (record is 4 in 4 days)  but we'll see.  If it is a farewell tour, I may just have to do all...

No comments:

Post a Comment